Costa Rica Tours 101 Safety Policies
To make our clients’ trips more enjoyable & safe, we’d like to tell you about our policies for our exciting adventures:
• For reasons beyond our control (climate, river levels, etc.), we may change to a more-suitable tour with a similar difficulty rating and adventure-appeal. Costa Rica Tours 101 also reserves the right to cancel any trip due to unsafe conditions and will only run a tour according to established company policies. Our Head Guide makes the final decision. Full refund is given if (on rare occasion) no tour is run. Most tours require 2 pax minimum.
• Rafting, canyoning and many of our other adventures involve some inherent risk & physical exertion. You must be in good physical condition without any recent surgery, heart condition, pregnancy, injury or disability. If you take medication such as allergy pills and need them with you or have other medical concerns, please inform your guide.
• The natural environment of Costa Rica is filled with insects, snakes, crocodiles and a variety of wildlife. Landslides, falling rocks & flash floods are possible, so we may not be held responsible for an encounter with any of the above.
• Our guides and drivers are trained in first aid and CPR in case of emergency. However, we highly recommend clients have their own travel insurance from a reputable company prior to participating in a tour.
• Recommended ages for tours operated by Costa Rica Tours 101: Rafting class 3-4: 13-65; Rafting class 2-3, Mountain Biking, Río Celeste, Hike & Venado Caves: 10-65; Lost Canyon & Cerro Chato: 13-65; Gravity Falls: 16-55; Stand Up Paddling, Kayaking: 8-85; Safari Float & Nature Walks (Arenal Volcano, Hanging Bridges, etc.): 6-85; Horse riding: 8-65 (200lbs. max). For those outside of the age recommendations or if there is an adult accompanying a child, we ask that clients request & sign a special Waiver for such cases.
• We recommend 225lbs. as the maximum weight for rafting and canyoning. We do not want to discriminate, but we reserve the right to cancel any client seen unfit to do a tour for their own safety and/or safety of clients and guides and may recommend other adventure options. Clients must not be under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
• We recommend closed-toe, secure shoes for hikes, horseback & canyoning. For rafting and Stand Up Paddling, clients should be able to swim as we cannot guarantee you will not fall into the water.
• Do not take valuables on our tours such as jewelry, money, cameras or passports. Costa Rica Tours 101 and our affiliates are not responsible for lost, broken or stolen items.
• Please be ready at the given pick-up time and allow time for road conditions and other clients being picked-up along the way. If you have not been picked-up within 10 minutes of your established pick-up time, please call our office. If you are not ready on time, we reserve the right to charge extra or send a transportation paid-for by the client.
• Children 5 & under free on operated tours by one of our affiliates. Costa Rican citizens, residents, students of all ages & military personnel get a 10% discount on operated tours by one of our affiliates.
• Private tours operated by Costa Rica Tours 101 are double the net price. Net prices may not apply for last-minute reservations.
Reservation & Payment Policies
• For agencies, all tours must be prepaid at least one week prior to service. Payments can be made to PayPal or credit card. If paying via PayPal, related transaction charges will be covered by the purchaser. Reservations are not confirmed until we acknowledge receipt of written service request.
• Confirmation subject to availability: Due to our small, personalized tours, we cannot guarantee your reservation until we have confirmed receipt of your payment. We may require an earlier pre-payment for tours and services during our high season (July- August and/or December-January, etc.). If payment is made via PayPal or credit card, please send deposit slip as confirmation of pre-payment.
• Cancellations for Costa Rica Tours 101 day tours must be made no later than 7 days prior to the service for a full-refund for groups of 6+ and 48 hours prior for all other reservations and 24 hours for a 50% refund. We cannot give a full refund for some services cancelled less than one-month in advance, because other tour operators do not allow for short-notice cancellations (see policy below.) No refunds for no shows.
IMPORTANT: Any cancellation by a client must be made in writing and acknowledged by Costa Rica Tours 101 in writing. The date on which the request to cancel is confirmed by Costa Rica Tours 101 will determine the cancellation charge applied.